In 1860 Stoke cemetery opened, complete with chapels, the registrar's lodge and the sexton's lodge. The buildings were the wining design of Henry Ward and Son (who also designed Stoke Town Hall), selected from 65 entries. Composed of two wings at right angles to each other, the sexton's lodge has two storeys. It is built of yellow brick with stone dressings and a plain tile roof.
William Marsh was appointed in 1860 as sexton and laborer to the cemetery, with a wage of 18 shillings a week for 7 days work and overtime. According to the 1861 census he lived in the lodge with his wife Sarah and their four children Albert, William, Eliza and Jane.