Breaking the Mould. Stoke.

Trentham Estate

Trentham Estate was the grounds of the Sutherland family's home. The house was demolished early in the 20th Century but the gardens remain. After several different attempts to use the gardens they are (in 2009) open to visitors with various attractions.

Nearby is the Sutherland Family Mausoleum. The mausoleum built by the Marquis of Stafford (later the Duke of Sutherland) in 1808 is, 200 years later, the only Grade 1 listed building in Stoke-on-Trent. Sited on Stone Road opposite the main gates of Trentham Gardens it was designed by Charles Heathcote Tatham. He also designed the orangery and large gate posts for Trentham Hall.

The mausoleum is Neo-Eyptian style, a heavy looming block with one door at the front and one window at the back. An equally heavy low central tower has one window in each façade each with louvred shutter. Inside the plan is of a Greek cross with tunnel vaulting. The exterior walls slope inwards and each corner has a massive pier.

Back

Archives

Archives

Panorama

Panorama

In 1907 the bodies contained within the mausoleum were removed and buried in the cemetery grounds.

Nikolaus Pevsner in Buildings of England writes,
"The isolation is a shame; for the building is so overpowering that it needs a good deal of elbow room.... The origin of a design so cyclopean, and so ruthless, is the most radical French architecture of the Boullee-Ledoux period. The architect was indeed Charles Heathcote Tatham, who had spent three years in Rome in the 1790s, at a time when the pensionnaires of the Academie de France in Rome were intoxicated with the ideas of Piranesi and Boullee."


Set in the cemetery grounds opposite Trentham Estate.

Cultural MasterplanExhibitionBlank for nowCivic Works

© Copyright 2009