Emma Bridgewater Pottery
The Emma Bridgewater factory is one of very few potteries left manufacturing pottery in Stoke on Trent. The Bridgewater factory is situated at Charles Meakin's Eastwood Works on Lichfield Street in Hanley, on the Caldon Canal. The building is a large Victorian pottery factory, recently restored.
The Meakin name was one of the most important in the Potteries history. An already significant manufacturer, Charles' brothers James and George were also very successful, and the family was related to several other major producers.
Meakin produced granite ware for the American market at the Eastwood Works from 1883 until 1889. In 1887 it was absorbed in to the larger company of Charles' brothers. It was a well-planned factory aimed at efficient production.
Emma Bridgewater began by designing, then moved into manufacturing in 1991. In 1996 having outgrown the first factory, the company moved to Eastwood Works.
The area is subject to a proposed large regeneration scheme which will see the Bridgewater company moved nearby to a purpose built factory that will use 'green' technology to maximize the efficient use of heat, power and water. It is planned that the surrounding area will have new mixed-price housing, shops, cafes, open spaces and workshops and studios available for small businesses. The canal side area may also see a temporary mooring facility.