Burslem's first market, The Shambles, was built in 1760-61. The present market hall was built in 1897 and is sandwiched between Queens Street and Market Place. Access to the building is through both. It is no longer in use.
Built on two levels, ground floor open space under overspanned cast-iron and glass roof. Upper floor gallery. Suffering water damage and severe pigeon infestation. Market suffers from not being visible from street level but with potential to be opened into shop fronts that do open onto Queens Street.